Sunday, November 13, 2016

Making the most out of a not so ideal situation


Remember when Pooh visited Rabbit’s house and ate too much honey causing him to get stuck in the hole as he tried to leave?  That image of Pooh is an iconic one…it’s the one where his friends come to his rescue and keep him company until he gets thin again.  But there’s another side to this story…it’s not just about Pooh trying to get out.  It’s also about a frazzled Rabbit left with Pooh’s legs dangling in his living room.  While he was unhappy about what had occurred, he managed to make the most out of what was happening.
With humor and the right attitude, Rabbit managed to find the positive in a negative situation. 
As you know, on Monday of last week, I had a bone biopsy to determine if the lesion discovered on my pelvic bone during the PET scan was cancerous.  Friday my oncologist confirmed that it was cancer.  My cancer has spread to my bone.  It was hard to hear but honestly was something I had been preparing myself for and was better than hearing the biopsy was inconclusive, giving me a false sense of hope.
This upcoming week I visit the radiation oncologist and will prepare to begin radiation to my pelvic bone.  My medical team believes this will sterilize the cancerous area.  This procedure combined with my new hormone blocking medication will hopefully contain additional recurrence of cancer for a long time to come.
So today here we are…working on acceptance and putting everything in perspective.   Just a few weeks ago I believed I was cancer free, working toward that 5 year mark of true survivorship.  Instead I am now faced with the harsh reality that I have stage IV cancer.   I NEVER thought this would happen and now like Rabbit must maintain a positive attitude and find this positive.  Don’t get me wrong, it’s hard. 

I cry. 
I worry. 
I question.
I fight.
I hope.
I dream.
I laugh.
I pray.
However, I don’t plan to be stuck in this rabbit hole for long, I plan to LIVE and plan to continue enjoying the amazing life I have.  It won’t always be easy but will always be my goal. 
It was Pooh's friends in the Hundred Acre Wood who offered him companionship and encouragement as he waited to get thin enough to fit through the hole.   I, too, will need that same friendship and encouragement to get out of the tough spot I'm in.   I particularly ask that you continue to pray for me and help me accept the reality that I may never be cancer free.  
Thanks for being there for me.   I am forever grateful.  --Christina

5 comments:

  1. Christina - so sorry to hear this news. I will be keeping you and Christopher and all your wonderful family in my prayers. Please know that we are with you every step of the way.

    God's peace,
    Greg Wathen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine how hard this news was to hear. You and your loved.ones are in my prayers...for healing, of course, but for faith, for love, for courage, for humor, for forgivness, for the best and the worst that people will try to offer. God bless you all. Biggest of husgs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs.Christina you will always be in my prayers, know i am here for you if you or your family need anything please let me know. I know your a strong woman and have your strong family and the good lord with you. Know i am always thinking of you.. love you!! Love Deana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending our prayers, positive energy, and warm wishes to you... all the way from across the pond ����. Love, Forest and Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  5. (The ugly ???? were flower symbols... sorry they did not transfer!) :-) Patricia

    ReplyDelete