Monday, July 28, 2014

Oh Bother...

A Blog? Really?

I never once thought I would have a blog.  I live a pretty simple life...work full time, care for my family and just do everyday things.  But then out of nowhere something happened that drastically changed all of that. Those simple, everyday things became more meaningful and all of the sudden I had a story to tell (or at least I think I do).

So, here goes...

On July 7, I found a lump in my breast that I knew was not normal.  I saw my PCP on the 9th and the journey I never expected began.  After a series of mammograms, ultrasounds and biopsies, my doctor called me back into his office on July 15, 2014 and told me I had cancer.

What?  Cancer?  I could not believe what I was hearing.  As he spoke to my husband, Christopher, and me,  I didn't comprehend much of what he said.  All I could do was think about my life and why this was so very wrong.  I mean, I am only 42.  I have more living to do.

The days following my diagnosis have been extremely full and busy with seeing numerous doctors and developing a plan for my treatment. This blog will allow me to share my journey with the many people I am blessed to have in my life.

But before I get down to the nitty gritty of my illness, I will start with an explanation on the title of this site, a play on words.  Winnie the Pooh has always been a favorite of mine since I was a child and while cancer is no laughing matter, humor goes a long way when it comes to coping and healing.  So we start with Heffalumps and Woozles, the "bad guys" Pooh envisions stealing his honey.  The accompanying song says they are "very confuzle and sly.  They come in every shape and size" and goes on to caution " be a very wary bear".  Seems to sum up cancer for me.


While this song is taken from the Walt Disney version of Winnie the Pooh, the works of A.A. Milne are full of references that help put life in perspective.  Pooh and his friends in the Hundred Acre Wood use their experiences to teach us many life lessons in a very basic manner.  Now more than ever, I need this simplicity as I seek to find and share the meaning of this unexpected turn in my life.

Welcome to EVIL LUMPS AND WOOZLES!


5 comments:

  1. Christina. Thank you for sharing your journey. We so take for granted the very ordinariness of our lives and assume it will continue on this path until you hit the broken rail and the train jumps the track. Please know that you and your family will be in our prayers. I know you will find many fashionable ways to deal with baldness and look great in all of them. I have often thought that your family is WAY more stylish than ours! It seems like your blog is a great way to deal with the fear that accompanies this diagnosis. You will find many hands will reach out to hold yours in comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always remember: You are BRAVER than you believe, STRONGER than you seem, and SMARTER than you think - Christopher Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you everyday sweetheart!! Always have, always will!! We are thinking of you all...<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um...the anonymous is Kim Curtis...quickest way for me to get in...

      Delete
  4. Hi Christina! I'm so sorry about you've been diagnosed with breat cancer. You and your family are dear to my heart. Thanks for sharing your story. I love all the Pooh connections. I will be following your blog and praying for you and your family.

    Much love,

    Karen Courtney

    ReplyDelete