Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Happy Winds-day

In Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day, Pooh awoke from dreaming about Heffalumps and Woozles to find that is was raining all over the Hundred Acre Wood.  Raining so much that the water rose out of the river bed and flooded his house and Piglet's.  Like most of the Disney versions of the Winnie the Pooh story, a catchy little song was involved.  It went like this:

"The rain, rain, rain
Came down, down, down
In rushing, rising riv'lets
'Til the river crept out of its bed
And crept right into piglet's

Poor piglet, he was frightened
With quite a rightful fright
And so in desperation, a message he did write
He placed it in a bottle and it floated out of sight."

This tune has now become my theme song or anthem.  Except there is no rain involved, only one lone DRAIN...a drain that will not stop rising.  The plan was to have the drain removed tomorrow during my post op appointment but as of right now that looks like a long shot. The goal is to collect 20cc or less of fluid daily for three consecutive days before it is removed.  Not only am I not at 20cc, my numbers have not been below 20 since before the second surgery and have climbed into the 30s on some days. 

Honestly there is no medical concern about the amount of fluid being released into the drain, it varies from person to person.  It's also not uncommon to have the drains for as long as I have or longer.  I am just personally ready to have this last drain removed so I can start being "normal" again. 

Am I frustrated?  Of course I am!  But in his typical fashion, my husband came to the rescue bringing humor into the situation and making me smile when I just wanted to cry. While changing my bandages he kindly told me that the drain probably wasn't going to be removed and started singing, "And the drain, drain, drain came down down down".   We both couldn't help but laugh!

Today, like Piglet, I will send out a message in desperation when he found himself in rising waters...a message that will hopefully allow the drain be removed: 


          HELP!
      C-C-C-hristina                   (ME)

So there you have it!  Rehab (AKA, being lazy) continues as I wait for the drain to be removed.  Thankfully I am able to do more and still have my mom here to help.  I am getting more energy and on the bright side  now have a catchy little tune in my head to pass the time..."The Drain Drain Drain came down down down"  

Come on drain numbers...please come down!!! 



  

No comments:

Post a Comment